2.7.09

short questions, short answers, and long pauses

im just not the hugging type.

i guess its been my experience that “huggers” are a needy bunch of people.

although, i hugged a guy tonight and it was great.

a few days ago miriam, our resource coordinator, came and found me in the overflow room here at louisiana tech. i had been checking my facebook and writing on this blog and frankly did not want to go see if the crying boy on the stairs needed any help. when i got to the stairs he was sobbing, head between his legs, the occasional tremor, the whole nine yards.

so i sat at the foot of the stairs, with my back to the wall, just a few feet from him. i asked him if he wanted to talk; apparently he did.

the next 45 minutes was littered with short questions, short answers, and long pauses. clayton's story made mine look like a fairy tale a mother would tell her daughter just prior to turning on her princess nightlight and shutting the door. his story was a nightmare that had reached its climax with the news of his best friend's suicide.

i spent most of the time there with him, staring at the gum wad on the carpet below me, not knowing what to say, but listening to every word and sniffle. listening to him tell me of two other suicides he had gone through in his world, and the one of those that left their body for him to find.

and now, tonight, he blamed himself for her death. the one who name appeared in the earth-shattering text message he had just received. they had fought over something silly a week before. he said she had no one else.

i checked on clayton through out the week. he told me he was doing better each time i asked.

tonight he found me after the worship service at front of house, hugged me tight and sobbed.

he had found Christ and couldnt wait to tell me. he was overjoyed and i was so happy to share that with him. he told me he wants to see his friend up there one day. we cried and smiled for a while, prayed and talked.

im praying for you clayton.


No comments:

Post a Comment