30.9.09

only its the opposite

i have a sermon on my ipod that ive listened to about 5 times since it was recorded in july at a student life camp in san angelo. i like it a lot.
in it, matt carter says things about the Church that ive felt, but not been able to put into words. kinda like intuition but im pretty sure its more the Holy Spirit than my anything. he talks about how God can detest our worship. and that,
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." (James 1:27 NIV
its been challenging for me and if you want to hear it, let me know.
but to take that a step further, i cant help but believe that our current state of affairs in the united states is a slap in the face of the Christian.
the way i see it, its not the governments place to provide help to the poor and needy in this country. or food to the hungry, or clothes to the unclothed, shelter for the homeless.  its the job of the Church. matt. 25.
yet all we choose to do is hate the men who are unsuccessfully trying to fill the void of our disobedience.
churches fleeing to the suburbs to avoid the inner-city. there are too many homeless people there.
church members fleeing the country to do ministry over seas. the people here dont deserve our love.
church calendars littered with events to bring in the types of people that we want inside the walls. thats basically what Jesus did. only its the opposite.





1 comment:

  1. Hey buddy,

    I struggle with this. I really don't like mixing the Church and state, and I definitely agree that it is the Church's mission to care for the orphan, the widow, and the foreigner. That much is very clear in Scripture.

    My struggle comes with balancing Romans 13 and Revelation 13. In the Romans passage Paul refers to the authorities as "servants of God." Their purpose is to limit evil in the world. It is important to remember that Paul says this about the same authorities that killed him and his friends. And at the same time John refers to the authorities in Revelation 13 as a beast that is pure evil.

    How do we balance those views? The best I've come up with, though I still have much to think about, is that the state can be used to serve God, but ultimately we must be cautious of them because they are not godly.

    This has led me to the conclusion that perhaps it is alright to petition the government to help people, so that evil may be limited in the world. I think that you're right, the Church should be the primary caregiver, but perhaps part of giving care is through the cautious use of the government...and again, I hate that, because I really don't trust the state...

    I don't know...I'm still thinking about it. Just thought I'd give you a different perspective. Keep up the good thoughts friend.

    ReplyDelete