1.3.10

on the examination table.

my friend maggie the business woman introduced me to john mark mcmillians blog. you probably know him for the song, "how he loves", which also inspired a previous blog of mine. i really like his last post. it something i think ive often been guilty of in my journey.
lately, ive been thinking a lot about cynicism and putting the Church on the examination table. i just started listening to derek webbs stockholm syndrome and ill confess, it hasnt helped. im a huge fan of his work, but this last album's "means" to its "end", left me with a bad taste in my mouth. (and this is not about him saying shit and damn)
he has, without a doubt, created one of the most important albums of this era of christian music and i dont want to downplay that. i commend him for his courage. im not done forming my opinion on the album, im about to watch "paradise is a parking lot"(the making of video) to get more of his thoughts on the album.
there is just such a fine line to walk when you point a finger at the Church. at times it desperately needs to be done, like Jesus with the pharisees, martin luther during the reformation, but you must have your motives in check.
i know i can look back to sunday school classes and community groups where i spoke controversially for all the selfish reasons mccmillian points out in his post. i just wanted attention, affirmation. i think most of what i said in those discussions was probably true, but my motives cheapened my words to shear shock value.


i am tried of pointing fingers. 
but im tired of being disappointed.


im going to see the robbie seay band and john mark mcmillian in bryan this month. im pumped. 
also i moved in to my refurbished camper yesterday. pics coming soon.

4 comments:

  1. That album is definitely critical. I honestly thought that the "Spirit vs. Kick Drum" was more indicting than 'What Matters More' that was supposed to be so controversial. Asking for a slot machine instead of the Father, or jury of peers instead of the Son, or kick drum instead of the Spirit is a pretty bold statement. I think that it makes me examine more of myself than the Church though.

    I think that the misconception and the bad theology begins when we start to believe the statement, 'The problem is with everyone else, but not me.' I think most, if not all, of Webb's music is aimed at bringing us to repentance, and the first step of that process is saying, 'I am the problem. I am the one that is screwed up. And I need to be transformed.' Only from our inner transformation, not behavior-modification, will we be able restore the Church. Because the Church is made up of you, and me, and countless others just like us. And instead of shifting the blame to others, maybe I need to call it my own.

    I would say that Webb is critical, but not lazy. I don't think he does it just to be edgy and make profit either, because he usually ends up giving his albums away for free, or asking people to pay what they want. He serves a purpose, but I think his intention is always to help us examine ourselves."I Repent" from The House Show album is probably one of my favorites.

    The beautiful thing about all of this is that the Church has never been perfect. Even in the glorified Primitive Church, they struggled with racism between Jew and Gentile, so much so that they neglected widows. They also dealt with legalism and gnosticism. But the Spirit still moved through them and blessed the world. The Church may not be perfect, but it is God's conduit of grace and redemption to the world, and that is something worth fighting for. The Spirit is always moving. Our task is to notice, and to move with Him.

    Good words as always my friend. God's peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The spirit vs the kick drum is my favorite on the album. And really I agree with basically everything he says in the album. It's just that almost every song is meant to kick you in the nuts and that approach kinda comes accross a little self-righteous. At least in ringing bell he had songs like, I wanna marry you all over again, and in mockingbird he had, please before I go. Overall I'm glad someone is saying this.
    Enough about the lyrics though, the instrumentation is incredible, no?

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is the king of Christian instrumental experimentation. I would have never thought he could develop that kind of electronic/ethereal sound from his first couple acoustic albums, or his work with Caedmon's. And I understand what you mean by the self-righteous impression. I think his Lutheran background has a huge influence on his emphasis of repentance and reform. Luther was all about the nut-shots (95 Theses to the Catholic crotch...no offense to my Catholic friends). I haven't decided if 'Jena and Jimmy' is just a fun song, or if it has other significance. I like it though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That one puzzles me man. I hope it's meant to be more than a fun song because I don't think a one night stand should not be the topic of a "fun" Christian song.

    ReplyDelete